Saturday, June 4, 2011

Should a new doggie Mum get a vet check after whelping?

Yes, if you are at all worried about your dam...yes, yes , yes! Today I wasn't sure about Bokkie. I knew she had not delivered a placenta last night but as she has been licking and cleaning so meticulously I though she may have delivered it and eaten it over night. But she was still panting a bit today...her room was nice and warm, being winter- was she just too hot? They can still get some contractions as the uterus contracts back to normal size????

Eventually I took her to the vet, as I just didn't feel good about it...he was of the same opinion as me, undecided but thought it unlikely that anything was left behind still. But just in case he gave her an oxotin injection just in case.

And guess what... she delivered her missing placenta on the way home - yahoo, we saved possible complications further along!

No comments:

Post a Comment